Sunday, August 6, 2017

Product Review: HSI Professional Flat Iron

**Disclosure: I received this product for a discount in exchange for a honest and unbiased review.**


Time to update some old tools, and perhaps help my hair look a bit better these days. HSI Professional offered me one of their flat irons to review and I said "Um, YES!"

So I received this beautiful flat iron, which instantly wowed me.  My poor straightener has been around since college. It works great still, but it is always nice to get a chance to update an item I count on daily.


Of course, I read through the material sent with it, just to make sure I used it correctly - especially when it came to temperature.  Now in comparison to my old one, which did not have temperature specified, just number levels, I was a bit lost on exactly how hot I was getting by moving the dial. So of course, I started low and work my way up until I found a temperature that worked for me. 
Here is my hair before: 


Naturally thick, wavy and bleached for the summer. The length is just past my shoulders when not straightened. It can be difficult to get straight and keep the frizz away.  

I found that it had the on/off button discreetly hidden, which is nice to not accidentally turn it off.  I was very disappointed to learn that this does not have an automatic off after a certain time.  I find this safety feature to be a necessity on anything that heats up to such high temperatures.  As you can see, the temperature starts at 140' and goes to 450'.  To forget to unplug this could be disastrous, and we all know on days you are running out the door, an automatic off is a blessing.  




Another issue I had with the temperature is the fact that you cannot really tell what temperature you are at unless you are at the low or high point.  You can guess of course, but if you notice, the curve printed does not actually go from one point to the other, and there are not other marks that give you an estimate of temperature.  So I was very cautious on moving the heat, since I was not sure about the sensitivity.  

The flat iron heated up very quickly and the heat was definitely working.  The cord is super long, which is awesome to have some flexibility with the direction of movement while straightening. The clamping mechanism on mine squeaks, which is actually very annoying considering how often I have to open and close the iron.  This iron is very lightweight, which is both a pro and a con.  With as much hair as I have, it is nice to have it lightweight since it takes me so long.  But being light also meant I had to apply more pressure to straighten each strand.

  

So this was the final product of my hair.  When I did this, I did not turn the heat all the way to the recommended heat, as I felt that was too hot for my hair and I was trying to watch how it worked, adjust the temperature and pressure, so this did take me a bit of time. As I have continued to use it, I have moved up the heat just past what could be considered the midpoint on the diagram, and I feel that it is working fine.  I love that this flat iron does not cause static or frizz on my hair, and that my hair felt smooth after each use.  

Overall, I am happy with this product.  If it did not squeak, I think it would be even better.  I believe it is a good choice for hair that is medium to thin, less wavy or textured, and perhaps less treated in terms of bleaching.  I think for hair like mine, wavy to curly, and bleached, an upgraded version would be a better choice to ensure correct heating and straightening.  

For the product, there are small items that I believe could improve its appearance and functionality, but overall, it heats up well, it straightens great, and it appears to be made of good quality materials.  If you are looking for a new flat iron, I suggest you take a look at what HSI has to offer.  

**Disclosure: I received this product for a discount in exchange for a honest and unbiased review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment